Everyday, every hour, every minute is a decision—I can choose not to care about my health or choose to make daily “value propositions” as my doctor would coin the phrase. The questions I must ask myself are “what is this food providing me nutritionally” and “is the value of the food only that it is pleasing to the taste but nutritionally void” or “will it provide me energy and prolong my health?” These are all questions I struggle with daily.
I start this blog with the purpose of documenting my journey of learning how to care for the temple God has blessed me with. I chose the vegan lifestyle (but more plant based than vegan) because I found that eating plants is what propelled my health status immediately and has given me the necessary energy to wear the various hats that I wear on a daily basis.
Sol is the latin name for the Sun. Kissed is defined as touched or pressed with the lips in an expression of love or affection. Vegan is a person who omits all animal products from the diet. Plants thrive on energy provided by the sun. Therefore, in order to thrive, I have made it my purpose to eat plants kissed by the sun. My name is Maisha. Maisha means life in Swahili and up until now I have not been valuing my life as it relates to food and nutrition. This blog documents my journey of learning how to lay aside my “beloved” non-vegan meals and replace them with nutritionally delicious foods that are kissed by the sun in an effort to improve my health, lose weight, and gain energy.
10 Facts About Me:
1. I’m an attorney but in my past life I was an Oscar winning actress!
2. I love listening to podcasts.
3. When I rap, I bust out in Kool Moe Dee’s “They Want Money” (they can’t handle me).
4. I don’t like math.
5. Love Jones is my favorite movie.
6. My husband and I practice different dap handshakes.
7. I love music especially rap and neo soul. (Common, TCQ, Drake, UGK, don’t judge me, Ledisi, Jilly from Philly, and Erykah Badu.
8. I secretly want to be a fashionista but I so hate shopping.
9. I like to sing.
10. I love to travel with my hubby (grown folk travel) and with my family.
Do you like cake?
Of course you do! How about vegan chocolate cake? Download the recipe here, then access other recipes on my Sol Kissed Recipes page.