This Vegan Peanut Butter Soup or “Maafe” is so Ah-mazing and Dee-licious! The origins of this deliciousness is West Africa and there are variations based which West African country. “Virginia peanut soup. . . is a direct descendant of maafe a soup eaten by the Wolof people of Senegal and Gambia, says Michael Twitty, a descendant of enslaved colonial Virginians and a culinary historian who specializes in African American food ways.” (Washington Post, Arts & Living Food 2007). I made this soup for the first time this week and was so excited when my family raved about its flavor. As a vegan, you must remember that in order to stay motivated you must “create or re-create.” This dish, more times than not, is made with some type of meat but believe me it is just as delicious with only veggies. In this recipe I tried it with sweet potatoes and kale. Try it and leave your thoughts below in the comments. Enjoy!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbs. of fresh ginger minced
- 1 medium sweet potato diced small
- 1 tbs of garlic powder
- 1 tbs of cumin
- 1 tbs of curry
- Salt to taste
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- ¾ cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter (I used no sugar added organic Central Market PB) but I'm sure it will taste great with any good ole peanut butter!
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2-3 cups of kale
- Siracha sauce to taste
- Heat oil in a pot until shimmering. Add in onion, garlic, ginger, sweet potato, and spices. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Add in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes begin to soften.
- In a glass bowl, combine peanut butter and tomatoe paste. Then add in 1-2 cups of the hot vegetable stock from the pot. Whisk until well combine ensuring no clumps in the peanut butter mixture. Once combined, pour the mixture into the pot and mix well. Add in kale and siracha. Simmer 10-15 minutes stirring often. Serve over your favorite rice. Enjoy!
Do you like cake?
Of course you do! How about vegan chocolate cake? Download the recipe here, then access other recipes on my Sol Kissed Recipes page.